MWP offers field experience, professional experience, and service experience
As part of our mission to improve writing instruction and celebrate writing and writers in Eastern Kentucky, the Morehead Writing Project works with pre-service and new teachers at both the undergraduate and graduate level. In addition, we work with students interested in careers as writers, editors, and other communication professions to provide professional and service experience.
Volunteer opportunities include
- Several events/projects with Epsilon Mu (EMU) aka English Majors United
- Youth writing programs
- Community writing programs
- Professional development programs
- Publicity and event management
- Grant writing and reporting
Specific Spring 2018 opportunities include:
- Teen Writers Day Out volunteer on Thursday, April 12 – this work requires you to sit at a table and write with the teen writers – the event is 10-2 but we will need help setting up and cleaning up as well – contact Dr. Deanna Mascle (d.mascle @ moreheadstate.edu)
- Tween Writer Day Out volunteer on Tuesday, March 6 – this work requires you to sit at a table and write with the tween writers – the event is 10-2 but we will need help setting up and cleaning up as well – contact Dr. Deanna Mascle (d.mascle @ moreheadstate.edu)
Also, we are working with Bath County Middle School on a schoolwide project-based learning grant and they can use additional support to help students experiment, research, plan, and develop their projects throughout the school year. Remember you will need a background check to work in the school. Contact Misty Johnson at misty.johnson @ bath.kyschools.us for more information. Dr. Deanna Mascle (d.mascle @ moreheadstate.edu) is teaching a Content Literacy class at the school Tuesday/Thursday afternoons and will need more help as well.
In addition, we are looking for judges to help us adjudicate the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards between Dec. 29 and Jan. 12 – this work includes reading student writing online for about 8-10 hours and can offer a $75 payment. We need names ASAP. If you are interested in participating please email Michelle Martin at michelle.martin @ rowan.kyschools.us
For more information about working with the Morehead Writing Project contact Site Director Dr. Deanna Mascle (d.mascle @ moreheadstate.edu).